PRIME TIME Preschool introduces young children and their families to the humanities and to literature through age-appropriate storytelling and literary exploration via center-based play.
WHAT IS PRIME TIME PRESCHOOL?
PRIME TIME Preschool offers a unique humanities-focused program for families with 3 to 5 year-old children that meets for 90 minutes once a week, for 6 consecutive weeks during after-school hours between 4:30PM and 8:00PM. The program engages young children and their caregivers in reading and humanities topics in a fun, interactive way. Partner agencies are chosen by application, and may specify the dates, times and location of their programs. PRIME TIME Preschool partners are schools (public and charter), Head Start centers, early childcare centers, library branches, and community centers. Staff members from the selected organizations are trained to deliver all aspects of the programs with support from the PRIME TIME home office, in New Orleans.
All PRIME TIME Preschool programs are free to participants and include complimentary books, nutritious meals, and door prizes.
A PRIME TIME trained Preschool Facilitator reads and leads a group discussion of beautifully illustrated and award-winning children’s books which include classic stories as well as new tales that promote reading and school readiness. Another Preschool Facilitator then leads the children and their parents through literary exploration via center-based activities based on the text that encourage increased comprehension and critical thinking. The program models strategies that encourage meaningful at-home reading behavior between parents/caregivers and their young children.
To see a list of programs in your area click here.
Learn more about the benefits and impact of PRIME TIME Preschool.
- Training for 3 site-based team members – 1 Program Coordinator and 2 Preschool Facilitators
- Stipends for 3 site-based team members – $750 for Program Coordinator and $750 for Preschool Facilitators
- Program support stipend for meals, transportation, door prizes and program supplies
- Curriculum materials – manuals for site-based teams and book sets for participating families to add to their home libraries
- Promotional material kit for family recruitment and generating community support – customized fliers, brochures, and posters; and
- Technical support from PRIME TIME staff before and during the program.
Eligible PRIME TIME Preschool grant applicants must:
- Be licensed childcare facilities or schools
- Serve three to five-year-old children from educationally and economically vulnerable families
Site will receive a set of children’s books from our PRIME TIME Book Series List to use in their program. Each set consists of 15 copies of each title. Participating families in Louisiana keep books after the program to add to their home libraries.
- Program Coordinator – selected by site applicant to organize the program
- Preschool Facilitators- Selected by site applicant to read stories and lead preschool activities
For more information, check out our page on Preschool Team Members, which outlines the qualifications and responsibilities for each role. All new team members must be available for training.
Program Coordinator training is an online module that takes two to three hours to complete. Scholar, Storyteller and Preschool Facilitator training is a eight hours long, and takes place on a Saturday at our main office in New Orleans. This training is available bi-annually, with one training in mid-July, and another in mid-January. More Information on training can be found on the Training Workshop Information page.
How can I bring PRIME TIME Family to my site?
PRIME TIME programs are available during two annual program cycles (see Grants Schedule). Spring programs begin between February 18 and May 15, and fall programs begin between August 18 and November 15. Applications for spring programs are due by October 15th, and applications for fall programs are due in the spring.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in bringing PRIME TIME to your site.